Now that I have the new site close to where I want it (note the nasty-looking banner – it looks great everywhere but where it’s meant to be parked), I can work backward and fill you in on what’s been occurring around here.

I have 2 recipes that are as close to ready for posting as this website is ready for viewing, so I guess that means just a bit more tweaking and they’re golden. One is a scone recipe and one is for French bread.

A third recipe, found below, is ready.

But before we get to that, there’s some Spring cleaning underway. My sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew are coming for a visit Thursday evening. Because the BIL is pretty damn allergic to cats, I have to do some deep cleaning and allergen reducing before they get here. They will be sleeping in our basement, otherwise known as The Stepson’s domain, where there is a double bed and a fold-down futon couch. This is the only cat-free zone available here.

The Man and I are going to scour the basement tomorrow as The Stepson isn’t the neatest child around. Plus there’s the issue of certain Halloween artifacts that must be hidden so we don’t scar the lovely children for life.

I started on the upstairs today. I had all these big plans about getting at least half of the house done, cook 4 days of food for the boss, and still get this site live. Ha. You know what they say about the best-laid plans.

I started the morning by putting the finishing touches on a little “welcome to the rest of your life” gluten-free basket for someone I know that just went GF. I then started on the main floor bathroom, even going so far as pulling down the exhaust fan (NEVER AGAIN, PEOPLE) and installing shelves on either side of our medicine cabinet. Then it went downhill.

I woke up yesterday with a screaming sore throat that naturally got worse as the day went on, due to the audacity of people calling me and expecting me to TALK. I had the same issue again this morning, but it had progressed into the beginnings of a head cold. I cleaned up the kitchen somewhat, did the bathroom thing (well, most of it), and delivered the basket.

When I got home, I scarfed a sandwich and laid down for a power nap. Did you know that power naps are supposed to be short? This power nap of mine turned into an outright slumber – FOUR HOURS. I woke up horrified because I hadn’t even put together the boss’ menu yet and it was almost 5 PM.

I guess I really should listen a little closer to what my body is telling me…”Go to bed, you moron. Stop playing with the computer.” Every night for the past week has been spent with my backside parked in its current spot, dealing with css and uncooperative wordpress themes. And a bastard web banner.

So, like I said, tomorrow we attack the basement. I will do the cooking I need to do for the boss in the afternoon and hopefully will be able to finalize one of those 2 recipes I mentioned earlier. If not, Monday’s another day.

I was finally happy with this recipe on the last truly warm day we had, last week. It hit the spot.

Pineapple Cheesecake Torte with Macadamia-Coconut Crust

2-2.5 oz packages macadamia nuts

3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut

2 tbsp brown sugar

1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted

2-8 oz packages cream cheese, room temperature

1-8 oz package whipped topping, thawed

2 tsp vanilla

1 cup crushed pineapple (I used fresh but canned is fine), juice squeezed out

1/2 cup powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Spread the macadamia nuts over a jelly roll pan and place in the oven to lightly roast. Shake the pan every couple of minutes so they brown evenly. Remove from the oven when all of the nuts are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool before continuing.

When the macadamias are cooled, place them into a food processor and pulse until they become nut meal – be careful (don’t go too long or you’ll get nut butter). Pour the meal into a medium bowl; add the coconut, brown sugar and melted butter. Stir until all ingredients are moistened by the butter. Pat the mixture into an 8×8 baking dish. This makes a thick crust, so if you don’t like that, don’t use the full batch.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until the crust is firm to the touch. Allow to cool completely before filling.

Place the cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, stir on low speed until the cheese is essentially smooth. Add the vanilla, whipped topping and powdered sugar and continue to stir on low speed until combined. I suggest a little taste test at this point to see if the mixture is sweet enough for you. If not, add more powdered sugar a tablespoon at a time until you’re happy with it. If not, add the drained pineapple, stir just until combined, and pour onto the prepared crust.

Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours before cutting into squares and serving.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1 thought on “Preparing

  1. Hey Tweaky! Wear a face mask when tackling that basement…you already have a sore throat…there I got my mothering in for the day…hehe…have fun with the company. HUGS

Comments are closed.